Frequently Viewed Government Pages

Council Action


Municipal Code


Utility Billing


Find Public Records

  You Are Here: Home: Government: Departments: Executive: Finance Utility Billing

Utility Billing
Consumer Education
Water system & rates information

Utility Billing

Billing Cycles  
Account Change Forms 

       Application for Utility Services 
       Account Changes 
       Tenant Change Request 

Payment Options

Rates - Water, Sewer, Storm

Utility Rates

Other Services & Charges
Senior/Disabled Discount 
Leak Reductions


(253) 447-4317
Additional Contacts / Address

After-Hours Water/Sewer Emergencies
1 (844) 821-8911 (Toll Free)
or (253) 841-5431 


Service Area Map 
Water Service Areas, Sewer Service Areas

Pay Online or Set Up Automatic Payments

Go Green - Sign Up For eStatements

Online Utility Services FAQs

Other Services

 Garbage & Recycling - Solid Waste
Pet Licenses 
Alarm Permits / False Alarm Fees 
Boat Launch Passes 
Business Licenses

Information & Resources

Water Quality Reports 
Water Conservation Tips 
Rebate Programs
Cold Weather & Frozen Pipes



Consumer Education

The documents below provide information relating to the Bonney Lake water system, utility rates, utility billing, water system concerns, and proposed rate increases.

  1. 2017 Draft Water System Plan
    - Department of Health comments on draft plan   
  2. Water Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)  
  3. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 
  4. FCS Group Consultant Rate Study presentation 
  5. City Administrator's Memo on Water and Sewer Rates  
  6. Water Rate comparison chart
  7. Water meter brochure 
  8. Meter Read (Manual-Radio) Coverage Map  
  9. How to Read My Utility Bill
  10. Water Meter Test Summary Memo (1/5/2018)
  11. Water System Open House Presentations/Handouts - March 2018
  12. Overview of Water & Sewer Capital Projects (RH2) - April 2018

Other Information & Resources

Water Quality Reports 
Water Conservation Tips 
Cold Weather & Frozen Pipes



Utility Billing
Go Green - Sign Up For eStatements

All utility billing is handled by the City of Bonney Lake Finance Department, except solid waste and recycling, which is handled by DM Disposal (more information available below). 

Utility accounts are the responsibility of the property owner. The owner remains responsible for payment, even if the property owner provides a written request to bill tenants. For information on rates and other charges, see the Utility Rates section, below.


Utility charges are due upon receipt and become delinquent on the 15th day of the month following the billing. A monthly penalty of two percent of the past due balance but not less than $10.00 shall be charged to all delinquent accounts.

Disconnection is scheduled 30 days after the date of delinquency.  If you do not pay the delinquent charges by the delinquent charges due date, your water will be disconnected on the following day.  In the even of disconnection due to delinquency, all charges plus a $100.00 turn on fee during the hours of 8:30 A.M - 4:00 P.M. or $150.00 after 4:00 P.M., must be paid to reconnect service.

Questions about your bill?

If you believe that your bill is inaccurate, you can request in writing that the City's Chief Financial Officer review the bill.  Please address such requests to the CFO and mail to Bonney Lake Chief Financial Officer, PO Box 7380, Bonney Lake, WA 98391-0944 or e-mail at Your written request for review must state:

WHAT you are disputing
HOW MUCH you are disputing
WHY you believe the charge is erroneous or inaccurate, and
WHAT ACTION you are requesting the City take

If the Chief Financial Officer or his/her designee determines that the charges are inaccurate, the City will correct your bill and revise the charges for up to four months retroactively.

Billing Cycles

Residential customers who reside inside the corporate Bonney Lake city limits are billed for basic services on a monthly basis and for commodity (consumption) on a bi-monthly basis. Meters are read on odd months (January, March, May, July, September, and November).

Residential customers who reside outside the corporate City limits are billed on a bi-monthly basis for both base charges and commodity (consumption) charges. Meters are read on even months (February, April, June, August, October, and December).

Commercial non-residential accounts are billed monthly for both basic service charges and commodity (consumption) charges. Meters are read monthly.

Account Changes/Transfers

City of Bonney Lake accounts are maintained in the name of the property owner. Requests for changes to account information must be made by the property owner. Whereas the City has set controls to prevent identity theft, proof of identification is required for any name or mailing address changes. 

This policy is in effect as of May 1, 2009 and is in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's 'Red Flags Rule.' For more information on these rules, please view the FTC website:

To request changes to an account, such as transferring an account to a new owner, turning service on or off, changing your mailing address, etc., submit the appropriate form to the Bonney Lake Utilities desk at the Bonney Lake Justice & Municipal Center, second floor. 

Applications for utility service accounts may be submitted in person or sent by email, mail, or fax (contacts below). Photo identification, such as a Washington State Driver's license, is required. Use the links below to download the forms. Fees may apply; see Other Services and Charges, below.

Account Change Forms

Also available on the Forms Page. Fees may apply; see Other Services and Charges, below.

Application for Utility Services Form 

Request for Account Changes Form 

Tenant Change Request Form

Because utility services are a lien against the property, purchasers are encouraged to ask their title company to verify billing status prior to closing. Additional fees may apply.

Submit forms to:

By Mail

City of Bonney Lake
Attn: Utility Billing
P.O. Box 7380
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

In Person

Justice & Municipal Center 
Finance - Utilities - Suite 250
9002 Main Street East
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

By Fax

(253) 447-3181



Payment Options

Please include the account number and telephone number on all checks.


Online Utility Services FAQs

As of September 16, 2010, service charges are no longer applied to online payments.

Go Green - Sign Up For eStatements

Online Utility Services FAQs


By Mail

City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 1330
Caldwell, ID 83606

Please note our new mailing address for billing as of June 2010.

In Person

Justice & Municipal Center
Finance - Utilities - Suite 250
9002 Main Street East
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Get Directions

Forms of payment accepted:

Credit/Debit Cards Accepted
For your convenience, we now accept credit and debit card payments.

Cash, Check, Credit/Debit (MasterCard or Visa). Customers must present current identification when making credit/debit card payments.

A locked Drop Box is located outside the Justice & Municipal Center for after-hours payments made by check or money order.

Customers can also purchase and renew
dog and cat licenses and boat launch permits at the Utilities Desk.

By Phone

(253) 447-4317
During normal office hours - 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Utility Rates

 2018 Utility Rates - Effective January 1, 2018 

2017 Utility Rates - Effective July 1, 2017*
* Per Ordinance 1576 and Ordinance 1577

Other Services & Charges

Senior / Disabled Persons Discount

Leakage Rate Reduction

Past Utility Rates: 2017 Rates | 2016 Rates | 2015 Rates | 2014 Rates

Other Services and Charges

  • Please view the current utility rates for a more complete list of other services and charges, including irrigation meters, private fire systems, inactive water meters, etc.
  • Miscellaneous Charges: See BLMC 13.04.091 for charges related to change of ownership, duplicate bills, returned checks, payment plan setup, meter reads outside the standard cycle, requests for estimated final bills, etc. Listed fees include:
    • Estimate final (per request): $5.00
    • Change of ownership: $35.00
    • Duplicate Bill Sent (tenant): $45.00
    • Payment plan setup charge: $15.00
    • Returned check charge: $35.00
    • Read outside standard cycle: $45.00
  • Removal of Meter Lock / Damaged Meter or Setter: If a lock has been removed from a meter that has been locked off for any reason, a $100.00 fee will be charged in addition to any utility charges due and payable. If the meter or setter is damaged by this action, the property owner will be charged for labor and materials to repair the service.

Senior/Disabled Persons Discount

Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application Form

To qualify to receive  this discount, the utility customer must provide proof that they receive the Pierce County "Senior Citizens & Disabled Persons Property Tax Exemption". Because of this requirement, only the property owner can apply for the discount. For more information about the County’s property tax discount, please visit the Pierce County website or call the Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer’s Office at (253) 798-2169.

The Bonney Lake Senior/Disabled Persons discount for qualifying property owners is:

  • Water: 50% reduction from the standard Water Availability Charge (base rate).
  • Sewer: 20% reduction from the Sewer Availability Charge.
  • There is no discount on the Commodity (Consumption) Charge.

To apply for a discount on your utility bill, submit the Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application form to the Bonney Lake Utilities division. Forms are available at the Utilities Desk, or you may download and print the form using the link above. Please call (253) 447-4317 with any additional questions about this discount.

Leakage Rate Reduction  

Leak Adjustment Request Form  

General Meter Information 

BLMC Chapter 13.04.100(G) 

Backflow Assembly Test Required (for Irrigation Systems only)

The City of Bonney Lake offers a leak adjustment to customers who have had a leak in their private plumbing system when the leak is repaired. The adjustment shall be two-thirds of that portion of the customer’s water bill which is over the average normal water usage. An adjustment may be granted upon written request with documentation (repair receipts) and approximate date of prompt repair.

Please download and review the General Meter Information sheet for information on meters, leaks, meter malfunctions, misreads, repairs and adjustment policies.

Leak adjustments may not be authorized in some situations; review BLMC Chapter 13.04.100(G) for details and requirements.

To request an adjustment, submit a Leak Adjustment Request Form to the Finance Department to the attention of the Utilities Supervisor. The letter must include your name, address, account number, phone number, the reason you are requesting an adjustment, the date of prompt repairs, and applicable documentation of repairs (such as receipts).

Irrigation Systems - Backflow Assembly Test Required
Irrigation systems/sprinkler systems must have an approved backflow assembly device to prevent possible contamination of the Municipal drinking system. The device and test reports must be current and on file with the City. When applying for a leak adjustment that has occurred in your irrigation system, attach a copy of the most up-to-date backflow assembly test, or your request will be denied. 
- Backflow Testing Information (Public Works/Water Section) 
- Approved Backflow Assembly Testers - see > "Public BAT List"
- Backflow Test Report Form

Additional information on utility rates and adjustments is available in the Bonney Lake Municipal Code Chapter 13.04.100(G).


DM DisposalSolid Waste & Recycling Service

The City of Bonney Lake contracts with DM Disposal for solid waste (garbage and recycling) service. New service rates normally go into effect March 1st each year. For more information please contact DM Disposal directly or visit their website:

DM Disposal
Phone: (253) 414-0347, Toll Free: 1 (888) 806-7048

Glass Recycling Drop-Off Locations are available in Bonney Lake and around Pierce County. Visit our New Residents page or use the link below for a complete list.

Other Recycling Services 
Find how to recycle, dispose of, or donate items from railroad ties to propane tanks:
Pierce County Solid Waste Division - Recycling Menu

Spring Clean Up Week & Free Shredding Event 
Annually in April

Each year DM Disposal offers a 'Spring Clean-Up Week' for customers in Bonney Lake at no additional charge. See our Events page or contact DM Disposal for details.

Solid Waste Rates & Information 



Dump, Recycling, and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Other Recycling Services

Find out how to recycle, dispose of, or donate items from railroad ties to propane tanks:

Pierce County Solid Waste Division - Recycling Menu

The Prairie Ridge Transfer Station is the local solid waste dump and recycling facility. For more information, contact the transfer station directly or view their website:

Address: 11710 Prairie Ridge Dr E, Bonney Lake
Phone: (253) 862-1704

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) such as batteries, flourescent light bulbs, motor oil, etc. is accepted at the Hidden Valley Transfer Station in Puyallup and the Tacoma Landfill for Pierce County residential households. For more information and lists of acceptable household hazardous waste materials, visit or, or the 'Recycling Menu' link above.


Find Rebate Programs




Phone: (253) 447-4317
Fax: (253) 447-3181
After-Hours Water/Sewer Emergencies: 1 (844) 821-8911 Toll Free

Staff Contacts

Utilities Cashier
Accounting Specialist

Justice & Municipal Center
9002 Main Street East, Suite 250
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Mailing Address - Utility Payments
See Payment Options
City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 1330
Caldwell, ID 83606

Mailing Address - Correspondence / Forms
Attn: Utilities 
City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 7380
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Service Area Map

See our Maps Page for the current Water and Sewer Service Area Map.
     Water-Sewer Service Area Map

See our Public Works Water Division page for water quality reports, water conservation tips, and links to other informational resources.


Cold Temperatures & Frozen Pipes 

Temperatures below freezing can cause water pipes to freeze and burst.

If you have frozen pipes, call a licensed plumber.

If your water meter is frozen or leaking, and/or you need your water to be turned off at the meter, you must contact the City for this service. If you do damage to your water meter, you will be billed for its repair or replacement!

During normal office hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), please contact Public Works at (253) 447-3101 to request that your water be shut off at the meter, or call the Utilities Desk for general assisstance at (253) 447-4317.

For after-hours water/sewer emergencies, please call 1 (844) 821-8911 Toll Free.

For information and tips to prevent your pipes from freezing, view the following resources:

* Portions of this content originated at the City of Sumner website.


Copyright © 2010 City of Bonney Lake. All Rights Reserved | For Staff | Disclaimer | Privacy |Sitemap